Do you want to find out how much electricity does a window AC use? Do you want to buy a window AC or did you look at your window air conditioner and become curious to know how much electricity it consumes? If you want to know, then this free guide will help you. So, how much electricity does a window AC use?
Normally a window air conditioner unit can use between 500 to 1500 watts of electricity to function properly. The above watt is an estimate, but it doesn’t consume more than the specified range, so the above answer can help you to know how much electricity a window AC can consume.
How Much Does It Cost To Run A Window Air Conditioner
You should know the cost involved in running the air conditioner so you can be able to compare it to your budget before making payments.
To know the cost, there are two major things we would like you to know
- Ensure you know the amount of power that a window air conditioner can use
- You should be aware of the cost your electricity company usually charges per kilowatt per hour.
Once you can gather the above-listed information, we will be able to provide three things you can use to know and calculate the cost.
Firstly Determine The Home Cost Of Electricity Kilometer-per-hour
Every electricity company in different countries and states has its fee when it comes to electricity charges. To know the pay per kWh, you can always consult your most recent bill to check for the charges, or you physically visit the electricity companies.
Ensure You Know The Electricity Usage Watts Of Your Window Air Conditioner
There is always a description of appliances in British thermal units (BTU) and not in ampere or watt. BTU is a way of measuring the cooling capacity of an air conditioner as well as a tip about the room the unit can be able to handle.
Sometimes certain air conditioners with a BTU rating might use a different amount of electricity to power the devices, so to know how many watts the AC can use; you can always check up on a manual of the product or the manufacturer’s online website.
Once you can identify the voltage used, you can combine it with the price charge that the electricity company charges you. By doing this calculation, you will be able to know how much cost you’ll pay daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly.
You Can Also Calculate The Monthly And Electricity Charge
You will need to do a little calculation here; I hope you are good at mathematics. If not, there’s no need to panic as we’ve got you covered, and this is the formula you can use to determine the hourly cost of operation below. Once you know to do this, you will be able to know the exact charges on your window air conditioner.
- # of watts x 1 (hour of use) ÷ 1,000 x 0.13 (kWh) = hourly cost of operation
What Are The Factors That Can Influence The Energy Air Conditioner Uses
There are always certain that can influence how much energy the air conditioner can consume, and they are
- Check the size of your AC
- The thermostat setting
- The climate within your environment
- Ambient technology
- The unit EER, SEER, and CEER rating
- Cooling load
- Indoor temperature
- Dirty air filters and House opening
Window Ac Unit (BTU) And Their Estimated Watts
- 5,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner Uses an estimated 550 Watts of electricity
- 8,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner Uses an estimated 660 Watts of electricity
- 10,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner Uses an estimated 900 Watts of electricity
- 12,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner Uses an estimated 1100 Watts of electricity
- 15,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner Uses an estimated 1,500 Watts of electricity
How Do I Reduce The Air Conditioner Power Consumption
You can reduce the power that your air conditioner consumes, but you’ll be doing that at the expense of your level of living, and you will need to cut down on certain things in your home where it seems electricity is being wasted.
- During colder days, try as much as possible to use a fan instead of an AC
- Ensure that you properly insulate your home
- Always seal your windows
- Try to raise the temperature of your AC
- Ensure your AC is always clean
- Your AC should be on schedule maintenance regularly
What Part Of The Ac Uses More Electricity
We can say that the central AC is simply the part that uses more electricity because only a 25-ton central system uses about 3,500 words, and that’s a lot of power.
Is A Window Air Conditioner Worth It
Window AC is most efficient and very effective compared to the ventless or portable air conditioners; they are also affordable, so there’s no need to panic because Windows AC is worth it.
Is It Cheaper To Leave Ac On Automatic
If you want to keep your energy cost low, you should put it on auto setting and ensure you use a reasonable temperature. In a case where you decide to set the preferred temperature to be very low, you should know that the air conditioner will run longer than usual.
Is It Bad To Leave Your Ac On All Day
It’s only cheaper when it runs less because it helps you save more energy and also save money, so while away, do well to shut off your AC because if you leave your AC throughout the day, it will keep running and cost you more.
How Long Will A Window Ac Last
If your window AC is well-maintained, it should last you about 8 to 10 years before you think of replacing it; in a case where it is not maintained properly, it may not reach that range, probably less than ideal.
Why Does A Window AC Need To Be Outside
Window AC tends to remove heat by using its vent hose, so the best way to carry out the venting is outside; that’s why a window AC needs to be outside.
How Can I Save My Ac Bill
If you want to save yourself the bill of paying too many bills on the AC, you can follow the below tips
- Always ensure you clean the filter of your AC as often as possible
- Make sure you choose the inverter air conditioner whenever you go to buy an AC
- Do not forget to switch off your AC when leaving your home
- Always try to make proper use of your AC by ensuring that the temperature adjustment is not set low
How To Effectively Use Your AC
Here are a few steps you can consider if you want your AC to last for a longer time
- Make sure to always create a zone
- Check out for debris and clean them off
- Avoid steep temperature changes
- Do well to check on your filter and always try to change them
- It is advisable to use a smart thermostat or a controller
- Do well to always make use of the fan mode also
Ways To Reduce Electricity Bills From Your AC
Just follow the below guide, and it will help you reduce the electricity bill of your air conditioner, and they are;
- Make sure your air conditioner is correctly installed
- Try to insulate the room and avoid any form of direct sunlight
- Always maintain your air conditioner regularly
- Do well to check the energy efficiency of your AC.
What Is The Energy Usage Of The Window AC
It depends on the size of the AC because a small size may use about 550 watts per hour, a medium-size may probably use 900 watts per hour, and then the larger unit will use about 1440 watts per hour.
How Long Will It Take A Window AC To Cool A House
The cooling of a house with a window AC may depend on certain factors like the type of AC, the outdoor temperature, and the amount of insulation, but the central air unit will take about 3 hours.
Is It Cheaper To Run A Window Unit
Yes, it is way cheaper because a window AC can air condition a particular room at a time, which means if you have four window AC, you can decide to run one and shut off the remaining three to save energy.
Which Is Better Between Window And Wall AC
Window AC tends to be less efficient compared to wall AC, which can create a clean-looking solution in providing cool air even though it might take a longer time to install.
Conclusion On How Much Electricity Does A Window AC Use
With the help of this article, we’ve been able to cover different issues concerning window AC and provide various solutions. By now, you should have known how much electricity your window AC use before you make a purchase.
The problem of how much electricity your window AC consumes has been resolved as well a formula for calculating the amount of electricity it consumes has been provided. Therefore it is within your power for you to utilize this information effectively and efficiently.